Game: Niche – a genetics survival game
Available Platforms: Windows, Mac and Linux
Price: $17.99 (USD)
Reviewed on: PC
Genre: Strategy Survival
Developer: Stray Fawn Studio
Release date: Sept 15, 2016
Niche is a turn based strategy survival game that allows players to breed and evolve creatures. This game explores the way that genetics work, and let players use strategy to build a strong pack of creatures capable of surviving the harsh world around them.
- The possibilities. The huge combination of possible creatures that the player can breed is impressive. The player can add two potential mutations to each parent giving the offspring cool bonus features.
- Adorablity. The creatures that the player can breed are absolutely adorable, even the inbreed and not all there creatures.
- Challenging. This game uses a rouge like style that makes the challenge of the game massive! Between balancing food throughout the pack and the fast aging and inevitable death of the creatures, the chances of survival are not great.
- Hexagonal. While historically video games have leaned toward a square/cube style world, more modern games are beginning to adapt a hexagonal map. This type of map is not by any means new, only becoming more of the norm. This is good, as it gives the player more control over where they can direct their character. In strategy games such as Niche, more control is always better.
- Replay-ability. Every time that the player enters the world, they are fighting for survival. The choices that they make in breeding, exploration and foraging can mean the difference between life and death. Each time the player looses all of the creatures and the game ends, the player learns a new thing to not do. This learn-as-you-go, cause-and-effect approach tests the player’s ability to adapt and overcome, begging them to jump in and try again.
- Graphics. While I’m normally not one for graphics in a game, this games graphics really are lacking. The game was released in 2016 but looks more like something from 2006.
Niche is a charming little survival game that mixes genetic and mutations with a fun survival game. The game allows players to plan the future of the pack by genetics manipulation, and targeted breeding.
I Rate this game 90 out of 100
Check out my first impressions video below: