Game: The Backrooms Game FREE Edition
Available Platforms: PC
Reviewed on: PC
Genre: Horror, Adventure
Developer: Pie On A Plate Productions
Release date: July 25, 2019
Hello and welcome to Jay’s Game Reviews! Today I am reviewing Pie On A Plate Production‘s Indie Horror game The Backrooms Game FREE Edition.
The Backrooms Game is, from what I have learned, based on a 4Chan post of the same name. Players must walk through a series of corridors checking their watch every 30 seconds and pressing (default E) a key in order to recover memories.
- Goop? There is a black good that oozes from sections of the room and helps to make the player uneasy.
- Mood. The mood is set up very well to give the player an ominous sense of dread. I felt like there was something chasing me the whole time, and I still don’t really know if there was or not.
- Sound effects. Sound effects were used to help set the mood, and were used very effectively! The sounds of lights exploding around me, something wet and slithering in the distance, a constant humming and many other sounds really worked well to make me feel dread and panic.
- Simplistic. The game is very simple, walk, check your watch, recover memory. Everything looks the same making it easy to get lost and induce moments of panic as well.
- Lack of a clear objective. I wandered and wandered (further each time) but really unclear with what my purpose was. When I played the first time, I did not realize that I needed to press the memory recovery key while I had my watch up. I also missed the text at the opening (it went by to quickly) that instructed my to not look at the creature. Useful knowledge!
- Lack-luster. The game just misses the mark when it comes to providing an entertaining experience. Sure, at first when you are panicking to figure things out you get something out of it, but the novelty wears off quickly.
All-in-all, I enjoyed the game, it was an average indie horror game. For a free title, I enjoyed it more than I expected to. While it missed the mark in some key places, I think that it made up for that mostly with the initial feelings that it induces. Not a great title, but much better that a lot of the games out there!
Does this weeks game sound interesting to you? You can pick up The Backrooms Game FREE Edition for yourself over on the Steam store today!
I Rate this game 75 out of 100
Check out my first impressions video below:
2 thoughts on “The Backrooms Game FREE Edition [PC]”
hello!,I love your writing very so much! proportion we communicate more about your article on AOL?
I need an expert on this space to solve my problem. Maybe that is you!
Looking forward to peer you.
Thank you, not interested, but thank you for the offer!